OpenClose Advanced Options / Search By Date
Articles about Blue LakeQ&A - Blue Lake's Features
Mar 2015 by Paul Cooper
Just been reading through your write ups online regarding Blue lake… I’ve just booked myself on for a week this year. I’ve never fished the lake before and was wondering if you had much knowledge on the lake bed? I’m trying to get a sketch or drawing of the lakes depths and bars.
Can you help…
Paul Cooper Answers; I have fished Blue Lake on 2 different occasions and have fished 5 different swims. With it being a larger than average French venue, the lake has various types of lake bed make up. There are lots of gravel bars and silt pockets in some swims, and in others the depths remain constant. I will try and go through what I can remember from my experiences on the lake.
- Swim 1 I don’t have much recollection of this one, but from what I can remember it was a corner swim with good margins down to both the left and right with deep water and silt.
- Swim 2 sits on a point, sloping gravel margins to the waters edge. 40 to 60 yards out is a gravel bar which goes left to right . To the right of the gravel bar there is around 9 foot of water over gravel and light silt.
- Swim 3 is a corner swim with a silty bay to the right, and at 70 yards is hard gravel in 7 foot of water.
- Swim 4 is a corner swim which can hold weed in around 4 to 6 foot of water. When the carp are in this swim you can have a bumper catch. I took around 17 carp in 2 days.
- Swims 5 and 6, the depths vary greatly as there are holes, gravel bars and plateau’s all over the place. Good plumbing needs to be done but the results are there.
- Swims 7 and 8 you have open water with light to deep silt and around 8 to 10 foot of water at 90 yards. Very good swims.
- Swim 9 is a corner swim with a large weed bed at around 40 yards but the fish do get in this corner. Very silty.
- Swim 10 has deep margins and the fish were feeding at no more than 60 yards out over soft silt in about 12 to 14 foot of water.This is a very good double swim.
- Swim 11 had depths of 19 foot over soft silt, not my first choice of swim.
Well I have covered what I can remember about the swims, take a plumbing rod and lead about to find the numerous features in this lake and you will have a very successful week. Don’t forget the wind direction and showing fish as they do move on a warm strong wind.
Also, have a look at the videos below to give you some idea. On the 1st one that we did we drew a sketch of the lake and talked through it on the video.
I hope that this helps.
If you’re heading out to Blue lake and have any specific questions you’d like to ask Paul you can email him at email@example.com
For more information follow the link - Fishing France